Thursday, November 4, 2010

This Is What It Means To Say Phoenix, Arizona Dialogue

Are you more impressed with the film or the
story?  Why? 

     The film Smoke Signals, was filled with more detail than this weeks reading that's why I was more impressed with the film.  From the beginning of the movie, I was drawn in by the house fire and Thomas Builds-The-Fire's speaking which got me instantly hooked on the film, the story just didn't have the same impact as the film for me.  The emotions, stereotypes, and personalities were so much easier to comprehend in the movie than the vague descriptions in the story. 
     The storyline in the movie is another part that had me more drawn in and impressed than the reading.  The house fire during the 4th of July, along with Thomas'  narrarations of how he and Victor burn everything they touch to the ground, and fall apart when anything touches them are a perfect way to start the film about this story.  I was disappointed in the lack of detail that the reading had, although I understand that there was a lot of information to cover in the few pages that was written.  It was missing the things that I remembered the movie by; the girls driving backwards, the house fire, the woman at Victor's fathers home, the anger.  I'm certain if this was a whole book to read, I would be more happy with it, but due to the limit the author had, I am unimpressed with the reading after watching the film.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,

    The short story comes from The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven, but the book is a series of short stories; it isn't a print version of the movie. Alexie took the short story and then revised it into the movie. I love your observation about the details we see in the movie that are missing in the story; I agree that these details that make the film rich and vivid.

    Thanks for your insights.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex,

    I also agree that there was less detail in the original story. I think you are also right that a whole book about these characters would be cool to read. Since the movie was taken from the "Bones" of the story, I'm sure that there was a lot more thought on developing the elements that were in the story and making them all gel, while you have side stories to watch and think about. I think the story was the reality though, and the movie took the story to the movie in the most positive direction it could have gone.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex,
    I agree with your writing, Even thought the author had limited pages to write a full story. I feel that a lot of the missing points where the major points in the story. It would nice to read to full edition someday. I like your points it is hard to find a negative feedback on yours. Nice Writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alex,

    I completely agree with you, the movie was so much better. The story just did not go that far into detail and I to hate that they did not mention Victor’s fathers neighbor. I thought that the neighbor played a huge role in helping Victor understand why his father left.

    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete