Tuesday, November 23, 2010

All I Asking for is My Body Part II Dialogue

Kiyoshi belives Obanan is a substitute for his mom, because of the supersititions that he picked up from his mom.  Kiyoshi's mother was more superstitious than most others on the plantations that they had lived on.  Superstitious about everything, whether it be about cutting and cooking food before the New Year, or scooping two scoops of rice into each bowl for protection.  Kiyoshi never wanted to believe the superstitions that his mother often spoke of, mainly because his father so easily put them off and had the attitude that luck comes and goes, whether it be bad or good.
As Kiyoshi's mother began to get sick, she began telling him of more superstitions that she believes in, mainly superstitions about death.  When his mother tells him of Bachi, Kiyoshi begins to believe in his mother's superstitions, and he believes that the Bachi will take her life.
Once Kiyoshi spoke with Obanan, his fears were confirmed, his mother was soon to die.  Sure, Obanan told Kiyoshi that it was possible to have the Bachi passed onto someone else, but Kiyoshi didn't think that would happen.  The next day, as Kiyochi's father walked in the class, he was sure that he was about to hear the worst news possible.  But when he heard that it was Obanan who had passed, he had realized that the Bachi was passed on to her.  Since the story played out how it did, Kiyoshi had no choice but to believe in the Bachi superstition, because it played out exactly how he was told it could play out.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,
    I think that Kiyoshi tried his best not to believe in his mothers superstitions. He has seemed pretty skeptical until Obaban died. After that it was confirmed that his mother must be right. I'm surprised he didn't consider that it could just be a coincidence since he didn't want to believe in superstitions.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex,
    You had me thinking deeper about how the story played out and the Bachi supersition happened exactly as told to Kiyoshi. Thanks for bring this up. I noticed a few "that", that could possibly be deleted from your write. When I write this is something that I have to be really careful about. I tend to get wordy. One typo. Thanks. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex,

    I agree with your point about Kiyoshi having no choice but to believe the superstition, since the story unfolds in the manner he was told it would. I'm not sure many people in the same situation would reason differently. I wonder how this experience would change a person's worldview.

    Thanks for your insights.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete