Thursday, October 21, 2010

Obituary Dialogue

     Lovey's English teacher, Mr. Harvey, resorted to shaming his students into wanting to learn to speak standard English.  He constantly tells the students that they sound uneducated and says that they will go nowhere in life.  Mr. Harvey does this because his Hawaiian students speak pidgin English, which Mr. Harvey refers to as a "low-class form of good Standard English" and he is very frustrated that he cannot change the way they speak.   Mr. Harvey had a major impact on Lovey, he made her ashamed of who she was, what she ate, even her family.  Though Mr. Harvey may have intended to do good by constantly ridiculing and making the students feel little, the things that he said to them only forced them to accept that they will never make anything of themselves.
     I find the reasoning behind the way Mr. Harvey teaches very odd and interesting.  I think Mr. Harvey may have, at one point, attempted to treat the students how they deserved to be treated, like ordinary people.  After a few years of failing at his job, he began giving the students images that they won't be able to forget by treating them like garbage.  Mr. Harvey believes that if he informs the students of the worst image they may be seen as it will give them motivation to change their form of English.  What Mr. Harvey doesn't realize is pidgin English is the only form of English that the children know besides what they watch on television.  It seems that Mr. Harvey constantly ridicules the students, but doesn't take the time to actually teach the children how to speak proper English and inform them of the benefits of speaking proper English, vice the downfalls of speaking pidgin.
    

5 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,

    You make a strong point about Mr. Harvey wanting the students to speak standard English, but not teaching them how to. I think Mr. Harvey is also operating off the belief that Pidgin English is a substandard form of English, when it's really a different language altogether. He's teaching his students to view their language as substandard, rather than different, and that causes the students, like Lovey, to reject part of their culture and identity.

    Thanks for the insights.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your comments and have to agree with your point of view. Mr. Harvey was too harsh on the children and instead of making a positive difference in his students' lives, he did the opposite. I wonder what happened in his life to feel the need to treat those children in such a manner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you and the comments. Mr. Harvey doesn't take the time to realize that while the children and teacher can communicate with one another, they really are speaking two separate languages and he can't quite understand that. He believes that they choose not to speak standard English when in reality most of the kids want to but they have not been taught how to properly read and write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alex-
    I agree that Mr.Harvey was very harsh with the children. I really think he did have their best interest at heart, but he just wasn't good at expressing that. I do think that he will be that reasin why they will be successful though!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete