The main focus in chapter 47 of Rules for Writers is to inform the readers how to construct a reasonable argument. The chapter starts by telling the readers that when writing an argument, the writer takes a stand on a debatable issue, it then gives several examples of debatable issues concerning public policy. When constructing the argument, the chapter says that the argument is not about getting the last word in, or winning, but it's written to "explain your understanding of the truth about a subject or to propose the best solution available for solving a problem."(359)
The chapter says that in the introduction of the argument, the writer should state his/her stance on the issue in the thesis. Using the sentences before hand to gain creditibility by showing that the writer is knowlegable on what he/she is writing about and is a fair person. According to the chapter, the argument should persuade the readers and prove to them that the thesis is correct. The chapter states that the argument should also include evidence to support the claims that the writer makes, the information the chapter recommends using are facts or statistics. Finally, the writer should think of the arguments that can be written against his/her arguments, include them in his/her argument and counter them so the readers can see that there is a more reasonable argument in his/hers.This chapter included a lot of useful information to take in and I plan on using much of it in my future arguments that I will write. The most useful piece of information that I can see myself use from the chapter is the section on anticipating objections and countering the opposing arguments. Without that knowledge, I couldn't see myself thinking of mentioning arguments that would counter the argument that I'm trying to get across. Another piece of information that I will use from the chapter is the sample argument paper. Since I've never written an argument paper, having this sample to give me an idea of how to construct an argument will be very valuable.
No comments:
Post a Comment