Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"Shooting Dad" by Sarah Vowell Dialogue

What accounts for the narrator’s struggles with her dad?

     The narrarator and her father seemed to be two totally opposite people, the father was a Conservative Republican, gunsmith, and hunter, the narrarator on the other hand was a Democrat, and artist who seemed to be annoyed just by the fact that there were guns everywhere you looked in the house.  There were periods when the two couldn't even hold a conversation without it erupting into an argument just because their views were so different and they were both so adamant about them.  Their home was even split into seperate territories just so they wouldn't cross each others paths and in turn start a war.
     Ever since the narrarator was six years old and her father let her fire one she decided guns weren't her thing, she felt that it was evil and even said, "Satan, I rebuke thee" after firing.  Since then, the narrarator wouldn't even go on any of the father-daughter hunts the family had, her twin sister couldn't even pull her along to spend some quality time with them.  The narrarator's dislike for guns pulled her in the other direction than her father was in, she didn't spend any time with him and he didn't force her to, so they never had bonding time where the father's values could have been implanted into the narrarator.  This kept them apart for many years, until the narrarator decided that it was enough and finally gave into what her father lived for, that's when she realized they were both so alike and the struggles certainly ended after that.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,
    I didn't really get the feeling that Sarah was giving in to what her dad liked but more that she was compelled to finally know what it meant to him. I also think that the reason Sarah was able to do that was because she was given the leeway to figure things out for herself instead of being forced into her parents beliefs.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex,

    Thanks for your insights. Your post has me thinking about her parent's decision to allow their children to have their own opinions, no matter what. While it allowed Sarah to decide on her own identity, it also accounts for the distance that grew between her and her family.

    I also think it took her a while to establish her identity and gain a strong enough sense of who she is, before she was willing and able to establish a relationship with her dad.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex,
    Great write! I don't think that I have read any of your writing in the past. You do a great job. I followed your wording and paragraphing very easy. I thought it flowed very well and the transitioning was great. I am glad that Sarah came to understand her father's hobby and have some special bonding time before it was to late. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Alex

    I think that we shared some of the same views about this material. I like that you pointed out that Sarah gave up father-daughter time as well as sister time because, she disliked guns. The story did not say but I felt they must have spent time together because, they were able to make things right at the end.

    BetteJo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Nice write. It was easy to follow, and I agree with what you have written. The fact that she did not get to bond with her father when she was young, is why it was so important for her to try later in life. As we grow we tend to accept.
    thank you
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Alex
    I agree with you about how Sarah and her father were the total opposite growing up, but at the end of the story when she is older and decides to try to understand her fathers love Hey for guns. She realizes that they are so much alike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOu had a lot to say about the struggles she faced with her dad and it looks like you have a great idea about the story! It seems at the end of the story these struggles end and it all worked out!

    ReplyDelete